My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I'm a single mother & grandmother, a country girl at heart, living in the North Georgia Mountains with two teenagers and my 125# puppy.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

They Danced....

The next part of the Amazing DigiScrap Race is a challenge to scrap a fairy tale. I couldn't think of better pics to scrap for this challenge than some old photos of DH's grandparents. They were a real life fairy tale, a professional dance team who traveled the world. In our back room, we have boxes of old photos, news articles, press releases, advertisements and reviews from their careers and travels. In the garage we even have an old billboard sign and a headliner marquee. Someday, I'd like to find the time to scrap all of these into a book for DH and the kids.

I never met his grandfather; he passed away before we were married. But I did have the great pleasure of getting to know his grandmother. She was so beautiful, and such an Elegant woman; and I do mean elegant with a capital E! Even into her 90s while small and frail, a victim of Alzheimer's, she continued to dance. She couldn't remember any of our names and could barely take herself between rooms of the house, but she continued to dance beautifully, going out every week without fail to do so.

Life to her was a dance. The girls still talk about visits with her during her last few months. We would enter the room to find her sitting in her favorite chair, in front of the window. She would so elegantly turn toward them, having no idea who any of us were, but would ever so gracefully motion with her hand for them to come sit next to her, as if introducing them to the rhythm of a grand symphony. Then, with a soft voice and impeccable grammar with a hint of a spanish accent, instruct them to "sit up straight, shoulders back, head high" as they sat down beside her. She was such a remarkable woman!

Even more remarkable was the fact that she seemed to know me so very well even though she could not remember me. One of the last things she said to me, as I walked across the room, proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt:

You cannot dance. My dear, you absolutely must listen more closely to the rhythm around you; but do not only listen to it, hear it, feel it, then move with it and live it. Without doing so, I fear you will have the misfortune of never being able to dance.

She was so right; and I still can't dance :(


Vintage Damask Papers from PaperMoons,
Grungy Frame from CSmith

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an totally beautiful page. I can't wait until you can tell the rest of the story.

2:36 PM  
Blogger ~TinaW~ said...

WOW, your story was so beautiful it moved me to tears! What an incredible lady to know!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Read my VisualDNA     Get your own VisualDNA™
Google Groups Subscribe to SenatiCrafts
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com