My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I'm a single mother & grandmother, a country girl at heart, living in the North Georgia Mountains with two teenagers and my 125# puppy.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Putting it all back together (Part 2)

With all the parts and pieces now upstairs, the doctor put up the first shelf into those first two industrial strength heavy duty stainless steel brackets. But now, I have raw wood facing me under a white wood shelf. I asked him to take it down until I could paint it to match the other shelves. He diagnosed me with OCD about it and saw no reason to paint these; afterall, "it's just a closet."

He then attempted to install the new tracking onto the adjacent wall. The studs weren't lined up to match the width of these new tracks. So we had to stop again so he could find some "anchors" to go behind where his tracks should be. My question was, "But if my original tracking already fits on the studs, why don't we just use it rather than putting up new tracks?" I don't know why I failed to foresee his reply that the stainless steel industrial strength tracks for the stainless steel industrial strength brackets are much better. So up went the anchors and the new tracks in their new locations. The fine doctor sent me (still the scrub nurse) for the new industrial strength stainless steel brackets to go into his new industrial strength tracks.

The next challenge(let's see, am I on #4 now?):
Those lovely stainless steel brackets won't fit into the new industrial strength tracks! Don't ask me why...we both tried. They simply were not made to work together. So back he went to the hardware store to complain about the idiots who made the bracket hooks a different size than the track holes. (They really were different sizes with some of them more different than others!)

My handy-dandy handiman returned with "even better" brackets, still stainless steel but with a new and improved "easy clean" black paint coating on them.
ME: WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YOU GET WHITE IF YOU WERE GOING TO GET THEM COLORED?!?
HIM: Because these don't come in white!

So up went the new black brackets into the industrial tracks; and the first two shelves were then up on the wall. During the installation of the third shelf, I stepped away to get a coke. Just as I opened the refrigerator, I heard a tremendous crash-bang in the closet, then a few choice words said in the normal handiman-gone-wild tone.

Challenge #5: It appears that the "anchors" won't hold such new-fangled, heavy duty, industrial strength, stainless steel tracks and brackets because they pulled out of the wall and came tumbling to the floor. It also appears that my "basic shelves" don't hold up well when crashing to the floor in the midst of such heavy duty industrial marvels. And of course my box of 20 Mule Team Borax along with my multiple boxes of baking soda that were on the top shelf held up no better; the boxes burst and sprayed white powder all over the house when they hit the floor.

Thank God nobody was hurt. But I then had a new fangled vocabulary-challenged handiman sporting a new chic color of white across his sexy handiman duds. What a sight to behold!

He ultimately decided to use my white brackets (although he'd deny it, I'm sure it was to match his new white attire) and my white tracks to put up the new shelves he had to go cut in the garage. By this time, he had decided I would NOT get corner shelves since they "will just cause more stress on the closet" (what the heck??) and proceeded to finish the closet HIS way since of course MY plans are what initiated this mess. He then decided that "a few" of his things were to go into the closet so that he wouldn't have to run back and forth to the garage when he needed something.

I gave up my plans. Mr. Fix-it refuses to return to the hardware store and is sorting the closet now. And his new look must be affecting his eyesight because he doesn't seem to be alarmed that he's shelving food items mixed with hardware nor that the closet shelves need paint. He says he just wants to get all this stuff out of sight and "we'll worry about the rest later."



I'll be redoing this next Saturday while he is at work. Until then, please don't visit. The house is a wreck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Read my VisualDNA     Get your own VisualDNA™
Google Groups Subscribe to SenatiCrafts
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com