My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I'm a single mother & grandmother, a country girl at heart, living in the North Georgia Mountains with two teenagers and my 125# puppy.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Kitchen Changes Part 2

Well, the kitchen floor is finally finished except for a couple of pieces of the floorboard/trimwork that couldn't be cut due to the storms that moved in. DH says he'll finish it next week when we return from our fishing trip. It looks much better than the old floor and was much faster and easier than sanding down and refinishing the hardwoods underneath. It's not the finish that I would have chosen; but I think it turned out really well.

This floor is not nailed nor glued down. In fact, it's not attached at all; it's just laying there. And there is a spongy layer, like a carpet pad, between this floor and the original hardwood floor. So it will cause no further damage to the floor underneath. This thing is what they call a "self-leveling floating floor" system. It contracts and expands with the weather and temperatures. And let me tell ya, it feels GREAT to the feet! It's like a hardwood floor, but not "hard" like a floor. It feels like wood but yet feels like walking in a good pair of tennis shoes. But you don't feel it or see it give or move with you. It's pretty wild!

My hairdresser came over tonight to cut my hair. The first thing she said was, "OMG! Look at this floor! When did y'all do this......OMG!!! FEEL this floor!!! What the heck is this?!?!" She must have walked and stomped across the kitchen ten times! *LOL*

Well, it's called oak. But it sure doesn't feel like it! The boards came pre-stained with a protective finish. And let me tell ya, that's one heck of a finish!! When we were moving the stove back into it's spot, the cord got hung up underneath it. That huge 3-pronged cord end scraped across the floor. I almost cried at the thought of having a brand new floor with a horrible gouge right down the middle of it already. DH jumped up and said, "Don't worry honey, they say this finish is practically indestructable; you just clean it with a damp cloth." (Yeah right! Like a damp cloth is gonna take that scrape out of the floor!)

Ummmm, well, as much as I HATE to admit that DH was right, he was and it did! It "wiped" right off and leveled back out!! You can't see or even feel where it was! I'm telling ya, this stuff is the bomb, as Katelyn puts it!! :) Anyways, here are some pictures of the new floor. (The kitchen really isn't lop-sided; I just didn't do a good job with the camera! *LOL*) The gouge from the stove cord WAS right there in front of the refrigerator.



1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OHHH I love the floor in that Kitchen.. I am a HUGE fan of wood floors.. It reminds me of growing up.. We had wood floors.. the only thing I hated about them were they WERE COLD in the winter or in the MORNING>>LOL :)

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Read my VisualDNA     Get your own VisualDNA™
Google Groups Subscribe to SenatiCrafts
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com