My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I'm a single mother & grandmother, a country girl at heart, living in the North Georgia Mountains with two teenagers and my 125# puppy.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My latest project: Kitchen Countertops

We've planned to remodel the kitchen, extending it out even with the back of the house, ever since I moved into it. Have we ever gotten it done? No. Every year it seems something else comes up or happens that prevents us from having the money needed for such a large project. And basically, at this point, I'm tired of waiting for it. This is the "before" picture of the countertop between the dining room and kitchen:



The lighting is inappropriate. Sorry, but DH is the photographer in the family; and he wasn't home when I decided I couldn't stand the kitchen any longer. The countertop is a pale golden colored laminate. The house was built in the early 90s. But I swear, the original owner had a 70s obsession! Everything in the house was originally white, gold and avocado green.

I did some reading about a product called "Paper Illusions" that can be used for crafts, cabinets, walls, etc. It's a "breathable" wallpaper that you tear and then reassemble like puzzle pieces to look like Tavertine, marble or stone. Well guess what? Two styles were on clearance at the Lowes by my office for 50% off. So I bought one roll each of the granite and multi-stone patterns. I plan on using the granite on the stair bannisters that are large, wide, white painted wood that I don't have the patience or time to strip and refinish at the moment. The other, has been torn and prepared for my kitchen counters. I figure at this point, for less than $50, I can't mess it up too awfully bad. And if I do, I can just tear it all out and replace it when we finally do the kitchen remodel.

It took me two hours to put these torn pieces down on the counter after priming it. I let it sit overnight to dry. Here is the picture "after" the Paper Illusions, but before I started sealing and polishing it:



I may not want to tear out the cabinets and counters at this rate?!? So far so good! This morning I got up early and put down the first coat of polyurethane. After work today, I sanded it down with fine sandpaper, cleaned it up, and put the second coat of poly on it. I'm using a satin finish trying to prevent the brush strokes of which the glosses so often challenge me. After my first four coats of poly have cured for a week, I'll put a coat of clear acrylic over it and then buff it up to a nice shine. I'll post the final pictures next week after I'm done.

Heck, this weekend, maybe I'll go ahead and try one of those stair bannisters? It's gotta be better than those dingy white painted boards there now. I'll try to take some before and after pictures of those too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Read my VisualDNA     Get your own VisualDNA™
Google Groups Subscribe to SenatiCrafts
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com