My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I'm a single mother & grandmother, a country girl at heart, living in the North Georgia Mountains with two teenagers and my 125# puppy.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

MRI results are back! :)

I had my MRI Monday morning. What an experience!! I was blessed to have been tested in an "open MRI", so wasn't really claustrophobic. I was doing fine with it until the final moment when the tech did that last reminder:
"The knocking noise will now begin. Just relax, and remember do NOT move or we'll have to reschedule you and start over again. And most importantly, do not move your head, face, nor mouth."

The knocking started; this wasn't so bad. These machines are not half as noisy as the ones years ago. About 2 minutes into the test, I had a cramp in my big toe. Then my cheek starting itching. Then I felt an itch on my nose and in my ear. So I started thinking to myself:
"Don't move! I don't want to do this all over again. That's not really an itch. It's just all in my imagination. That toe isn't going to fall off during this test...just ignore it. BE STILL!"

I was doing pretty well with self-talk and self-soothing exercises until I felt a cough coming on. Then I had to get a little more serious with myself:
"OK, you are on a beach. There is a cool breeze blowing across your face. Just breathe. Don't waste that wonderful salty air by coughing. You're fine. You don't really need to cough. Suck it up and get over it! And do NOT move!"

Then I felt like I needed to sneeze. And my left eye start twitching. Then I heard the tech's voice across the speaker, "Hang in there and don't move. We're about halfway finished. Just a few more minutes."
But the sneeze-sensation was causing my nose to twitch in perfect rhythm with my eye. I swear, it felt like my entire face was going into convulsions!
So I had to REALLY come down on myself:
"STOP IT RIGHT THERE! DO NOT SNEEZE! You don't need to sneeze! Eyes, stop moving! Nose, cut that crap out! Face, I swear I'll slap ya silly when I get outta this thing if you dare twitch one more time! MY BRAIN IS IN CONTROL HERE! Brain, you tell 'em to ignore that sensation and stop twitching! C'mon now, send that message ASAP to the face!"

Then the machine stopped and the tech said, "Ok, you're finished. You did great!"

If she only knew! ~sigh~

Why is it that I can sit perfectly still until told "Don't move" and then everything on my body decides to get figity?!?!

I went back today to get the results. I have really been dreading this, not as much from fear of something being wrong, but more of a fear of total humiliation that he might say, "Geez, we don't know what's wrong with your brain and neck. This is the most bizarre test I've ever seen. Didn't they tell you to be still during this test? It looks as if you were dancing around on the table. We'll have to do it all over again!"

So I walked in this morning, took a deep breath, and waited for the word. And of course, he couldn't come in and immediately give me an answer. No, that would have been too easy. He waited, looked over the report, then the pics, read the chart, (took what felt like 30 minutes!) and then finally said:
"Everything looks great. We found nothing wrong that would require surgical or invasive intervention. In fact, we found nothing to report on the test, not even arthritis. You have a migraine that appears to be the result of stress, a little weakness in a muscle or two, and the effects of not taking care of yourself. We're recommending physical therapy and some traction for 6 weeks. I'm releasing you because you're in good hands with Dr. C and will be just fine. Continue taking the anti-inflamatories and see Dr. C again on Saturday."

So maybe that talk I had with my brain and face helped afterall?!? *LOL*

I'll let y'all know what this "physical therapy and traction" turns out to be. The only thing I could think of this afternoon was, "What are they going to do now? Hang me upside down?" I hope not; I don't need all the blood rushing to my brain. I'm just now getting the darned thing trained to listen to me! :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senati I love how you tell a
story. You had me laughing and
crying. I am glad it is nothing
really bad. Hang in there and they
will get you better.
Love and hugs
Mully

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with Mully's comment. You are an amazing, talented person, who has come so far, overcoming many obstacles. Hang in there, my prayers continue for you and your family. Hugs.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Read my VisualDNA     Get your own VisualDNA™
Google Groups Subscribe to SenatiCrafts
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com